The Power Pageant Queens

It's now July but we are throwing it back to June when 5 new queens were crowned, including the very first Pageant Girl UK. 

The Power Pageant hosts the preliminary entry for Miss Grand International and Miss International, where four queens will be going to represent the UK and their countries, and we got to sit down with them to talk about about their pageant journey and what to expect from internationals!



Harriotte - Miss International UK

Thank you Harriotte for sitting down and talking to us, can you tell us a bit more about your new title and how you prepared for the finals?

I am your Miss International U.K. 2019. 

I feel like I started preparing for this in 2014! I had just got through to the finals of Miss Teen Great Britain, my first ever pageant and I was at The Dress Studio picking a gown for the finals. I had forgotten my heels, this confident beautiful women offered me hers so I could try with the dress, she was Victoria Tooby, she was picking up her gown for Miss International U.K. finals. I was star struck and wanted to be her when I grew up. 

I went to watch her compete, it was my first ever pageant I had seen, I had goose bumps as she was crowned. I knew I wanted to be that queen, be that person who went to represent her country in Japan. 

From that moment I feel like everything has been getting ready for this moment. One of the core values of Miss International is to ‘cheer all women’ this is a belief I have lived by, setting up the Pageant Network and helping hundreds of women and find confidence and friendships across the country. 

Amazing! So, apart from winning the crown of course, what was the best part of the finals? 

The girls were the best part! I have made some many new friends and been reunited with older friends. I adore what a close family we became. 

Pageant friends are the best friends! Can you tell us a bit more about your platform? 

My main focus is the my Pageant Network and the work I do within it. I started the Network when I was just 14, I was getting so many messages from girls unsure how to start getting involved in Pageants and modelling, they wanted to learn what I had done. I started a small group initially to just make it easier to communicate to those interested. Now we have regular events, training and support sessions. 

Helping girls from as young as 4 through to the classic divisions, our motto is Beauty through Action, our emphasis is community and charity involvement and gaining personal confidence along the way. 

The network initially start just in the North East but I have now rolled this out and other Queens have set up Scotland and Welsh Pageant Networks. 

What are you most looking forward to at the international finals, as this is not your first international!

Making friends from around the world is the thing I most looking forward to. I think when competing it is always important to have goals beyond the crown so that you always have an achievement and something to take away from the experience. 

Lastly, any advice for future pageant queens?

Do it! Don’t hold back, what’s the worst that can happen? You make friends and have one of the best weekends of your life!

Emma- Miss Grand Wales 

Welcome back to Sparkles and Rhinestones Emma! Can you tell us about your new title and how you worked your way to the crown!  

My new title is Miss Grand Wales 2019. As part of my UK Power Pageant journey I felt that preparation was key to helping me become the best version I could be both mentally and physically.  I tried to seize every opportunity that came with being a finalist. My biggest accomplishments as a UKPP finalist included; raising over £515 and climbing the highest mountain in the UK, Ben Nevis in aid of The Christie Foundation. 
This wasn't your first time at the UKPP finals, what was the best part about this year?

The 2019 UKPP final was simply incredible. I had the time of my life and made memories and friendships that I will always treasure. 

Do you have a platform within pageantry?

My platform is one that is truly close to my heart. I believe the most precious gift we can give in this life, is our time. My platform is therefore, Volunteerism. 

This year I have been given the opportunity to become an ambassador for Help the Homeless Newport and Cardiff. I am honored to be involved with this community initiative, to help those who are vulnerable across South Wales. As Miss Grand Wales, I hope to inspire and empower others to make a difference in their communities and beyond. 

What are you most looking to at internationals? 


I have been overwhelmed by the support I have already received about competing at Miss Grand International. 

The Miss Grand International organisation is such a special system that advocates an end to all forms of violence and hostility.

 I am so proud and grateful to have been given this opportunity to represent Wales and to meet all the other contestants across the world. I cannot wait to experience new cultures, all whilst working towards the MGI #StoptheWarandViolence campaign.

Lastly, any advice for future pageant queens? 

Pursue your dreams, always be yourself, and never give up!  


Freya- Miss Grand Scotland 

What a year it has been for you Freya, finally going to internationals! Tell us about your brand new title and the journey to it! 

I am the new Miss Grand Scotland 2019/20. I didn’t have a lot of time to prepare for finals so I concentrated on using my regional title as much as I could in the 4 weeks that I had; and getting involved with as many different community initiatives and online campaigns as possible.

Tell us what your favorite part of the finals was this June? 

 My favourite part of finals (aside from winning my title) was probably the pyjama party on the Saturday night. This was a great opportunity to relax and have a laugh with the rest of the girls. It was at this point where a lot of the quieter girls came out of their shells more and I really enjoyed getting to know everyone that bit better through our costume competition and dance practice. It was a fab way to wind down after a full-on day as well as get closer with everyone before the show day.

Do you have any charities you fund-raise for that have a personal meaning behind it? 

In the past, I have been a huge advocate for The Make-A-Wish Foundation and have raised over £15,000 through an annual event I held up until last year. 

With my new title, however, I am hoping to raise money for various Scottish charities including CHSS after losing my Papa to Stroke complications almost a year ago, as well as The Beatson and SeeMe.

What are you looking forward to at internationals? 

Something I’ve always dreamed of doing is competing in a National Costume competition. I am extremely proud to be born and raised in beautiful Scotland and cannot wait to showcase my heritage and patriotism on the International stage. I’ve already started designing my costume! Be prepared for some surprises.

Ashleigh- Miss Grand England 

Welcome, Ashleigh! You are no stranger to Pageant Girl UK, holding the Miss Teen GB title in 2016! Tell us about our new title?

 My new title is Miss Grand England 2019/20 and it still feels very surreal to even say that! In preparation for the finals, I competed numerous appearances (which led me to win the Publicity award on the night), I lived in the gym in order to allow myself to feel as confidence as possible in my own skin as I had never competed in swimwear before (although it was definitely my favourite round) and I was coached by the Rachael Tate, a former Miss Grand Wales, under the amazing Pageant Coaching Academy. 

What was the best part about the finals?

 It was definitely the overall experience. Pageant land is a whole new world and to be back was such an amazing feeling. I met girls that I wouldn’t normally cross paths with in my day-to-day life and I have genuinely made friends for life just from the two days that were the finals. 

 Do you have a platform/charity? If so tell us more? 

I have always been very passionate about raising awareness of sepsis since loosing my dad to the condition 3 years ago and that will always be my number one priority in terms of a platform due to how prevalent and life limiting the infection is. 

However, I am also using my title this year to raise awareness of being different. There is so much pressure within society at the moment to look a certain way and to act a certain way, yet that’s not ok. Everyone is different - if everyone was the same, life would be boring!

 Society should be encouraging people to embrace their flaws and features that makes them unique, not adding to the pressure to conform with the ‘normality’ of society. “What makes you different is what makes you beautiful” 

It's your first time going to internationals, tell us what you are looking forward to?  

I have never competed on an international level before and therefore, I am so excited to do that for the first time at one of the grand slam pageants in the world! I cannot wait for the overall experience, but to also experience a different culture and travel to a country I wouldn’t necessarily have been my chosen place to visit in everyday life.

 I am also so excited to meet all the other delegates because it’s really an opportunity to meet people you wouldn’t normally cross paths with!


Finally, do you have any advice for future pageants girls?

 Go for it! This was my first ever time competing as a Miss and I thought I was at a disadvantage because of that and the fact that I’d never competed on an international level before - but lo and behold it didn’t matter!

 I’d worked hard and I’d prepared even harder and that shone through above my nerves, so if I can do it, anyone can! 

A massive thank you to the queens for talking to Sparkles and Rhinestones, you can follow them on their journey to the international crown at:

Emma; @emmalouisejane_
Ashleigh: @missgrandengland_ @ashleighwild_
Freya: @missgrandscotland
Harriotte: @harriotte_

Good Luck Queens! 

Comments