Queen Saturday- Miss Divine

Queen Saturday brings us a few Miss Divine queens, who were crowned this September in Newport at the third Miss Divine UK finals. The pageant, set up by former Miss Teen Galaxy Wales Leah and mumma Colleen, was set to build confidence and promote female empowerment.

 As well as raise funds for Dreams and Wishes, a charity that helps children coming to the end of life saving treatment to have their dreams and wishes come true.

Madison- Miss Teen Divine

Welcome Maddison, tell us about the lead up to the grand finals? How was the journey for you?

To the lead up to the finals I attended appearances such as collecting food for my local food bank, and helping out at a charity. I also done a 12 mile walk to raise money for Dreams and Wishes which was challenging but worth it for the charity! I supported my fellow pageant queens like taking part in the #coderedchallenge as well as helping out in my community like helping out at a festival.

How did it feel when your name was called?

When my name was called to be the winner of the teen category,  I felt very very surprised as I didn’t think I would do it, I was very excited and just couldn’t believe it! It was something that I had always dreamt about, and I couldn’t believe it was happening. Every part of me was shaking with pure excitement. 

What are your plans for the rest of your winning year? 

My plans for the next year are to continue raising funds for Dreams and Wishes. 
I am currently working closely with my comprehensive school,  where we are to trying to schedule a non uniform day and raise money for Dreams and wishes. I am also trying to set up a online pageant and again raise money for my chosen charity. 

Speaking of your chosen charity, can you tell us a bit more about the charity?

My platform is Dreams and wishes, which is a charity based in Wales that help seriously ill children and their families with their lifelong wishes, as well as provide technology such as iPads and iPhones so children and teens can keep in contact through those long hospital stays. I am very thankful to all the people that have sponsored me, and donated. This means such a lot to me, and I have raised over £300 for the charity, I can’t wait to raise more!

Finally, any advice for Teen’s looking to get into pageants?

My advice for any other girls that would be interested in pageants are to give it a go, don’t give up, and embrace every moment! You will do it if you put the time and effort in, and it’s within anyone’s reach. Coming runner up or third place makes YOU a better person and be proud that you have been placed and even prouder that you have the confidence to enter. Make sure you do lots of research in the pageant that you wish to enter e.g terms and conditions what you have to do to for fill your reign. 

Jasvir- Ms Divine UK

Welcome Jasvir, tell us about your journey to the Divine crown?

My journey to the finals was probably a little different to all of the other stunning ladies that entered the pageant. As a woman in my 30’s it was more than a little nerve racking to even think about the idea of entering a beauty pageant especially taking into consideration how the media defines beauty and knowing that I do not fit the ’super model’ category. I was so surprised to learn that beauty pageants have evolved over time (as they should) and accept women in different age categories as well as women of ALL sizes! This was no less than revolutionary for my mind to grasp. After hearing back that I had been accepted as a grand finalist I was so surprised and also very happy, but there was a huge amount nerves creeping up as the days got closer. The nerves had me emailing the pageant team quite frequently and to be honest I was just looking for a reason to back out because I was so nervous, fortunately for me, the team was so great and supportive and made it impossible for me to back out by giving me the support I needed to feel welcome into a new space. 

The day before the pageant I had flown back to London from an international work trip and was still looking for excuses to chicken out, but something inside me told me that I need to do this, I have committed and I need to honour my word. So with no sleep the night before, an international flight , a ton of jet lag and then a 3 hour drive from London I arrived to Newport the night before the pageant at 11pm, ready, excited and still very nervous. 

Yes, it is amazing how far pageants have come! So you didn’t back out, and your name  was called as the winner! How did it feel?

It was absolutely unbelievable, I was thrilled! So many thoughts ran through my head, the main thing I was thinking is how incredible this will be for young women of colour to see such diversity on these stages and how that might inspire more women to own their uniqueness and collectively celebrate their authentic beauty

What plans do you have for the rest of the year as a Ms Queen?

I would like to use this opportunity to share with other young women how fabulous the experience in itself was, as well as help them to understand that beauty has a much broader definition. If we can work together in redefining beauty standards we can create better more inclusive spaces that celebrate beauty and don't force us to conform. I feel that we are in a time where the standard definitions of beauty are ready for some transformation and I would love to spend this year putting some effort towards that.

As this is your first pageant, in pageantry we have something called a platform, which is a charity or awareness that we promote during out time es as queens. What would yours be?

 I would like to share my message, through the work I already do in the field of Music and Mental Wellness. I would like to explore new spaces to share this message by presenting a new face to redefine the meaning of beauty. Beauty has power, beauty has colour, beauty has values.We are all beautiful and our individuality only enhances the depths of our beauty and I want all women to feel empowered by their true beauty however they choose to wear it. 

Lastly any advice for contestants looking to enter Miss divine?

What I learnt in the most unexpected way is simply to be yourself. When we try too hard or pressure ourselves we restrict our ability to truly shine. On the stage the only thing that has the most power is when you are yourself because there is nothing more beautiful than natural beauty, that can only shine and radiate when you are being YOU.

Believe in yourself and let yourself shine because you will be an inspiration for other young women who need to see your radiance to spark light in theirs.

Rebecca- Miss Divine UK

Welcome Rebecca and a huge congratulations on your win! How did you prepare for the finals?

I decided to invite others to help with donations in the run up to the pageant, so that people could pull together as a collective. We donated Preloved items to local charity shops, I took a suitcase full of donated items from within the community with me when I went to Africa, to hand over to the bushmen, and spent every spare second at my local animal sanctuary, who are supporting me through my Veterinary medicine studies. 


In regards to outfits, myself and my mum made them all ourselves! We picked up fabrics, sketched designs and making them! I’ve not lived at home for some years so it was a great way of spending time with her and planning for pageants!Mum works for the NHS, so I decided to pay homage to her and people in the profession in my national wear. The NHS is exclusive to this country, and is one thing for an English person to be proud of- the teams of people who work within it to look after everyone. 

The NHS is a treasure! How did it feel being called the winner of Miss Divine?

I was shocked at first, but I immediately started visualising ways in which the platform would add leverage to push the causes I feel need attention. It has been the highlight of my year.

What plans do you have for the rest of your year?

I plan to be very hands on within my reign. I have several motivational and positive talks booked in during December with the YMCA, Dementia UK, and PETA. 

I want to encourage togetherness in my local community, and will be inviting others to join me in raising funds and coordinating charity events. I'm currently running a campaign at the moment where people from across my city have been bringing Dog Supplies into my work, where they'll be put into shoe boxes and donated to Shrewsbury Dog's Trust on 20th December in time for Christmas. 

I'm volunteering on an animal sanctuary in Indonesia next summer as part of my course, so I plan to bring back some "next-level" photographs wearing the Divine sash and Crown. I also volunteer for my local PDSA, who are sponsoring me through my veterinary medicine programme. 

Amazing work! Is this part of your platform and could you tell us a little bit more about it?

I have an existing following of local/national Vegans and environmentalists on social media, who part- sponsored my recent conservation trip to Africa. I plan to expand this and get involved in more environmental and conservation work, to encourage other individuals to jump on board too.

Lastly, any advice for pageant queens looking to compete?

My only advice is that they present THEMSELVES. There is no need to act up to an expectation- this system is specifically designed to help real and natural women showcase their inner queen. Diversity is accepted an celebrated at the Divine pageant:  Every girl has a fair and equal chance. Don't be nervous, just enjoy the opportunity, take in the experience, and you might just win! 

Comments