Curves going International: Meet the queens of Miss International Curve


There are many diverse pageants now, opening up the pageant industry to so many different woman but one pageant that has dominated the curve industry is the Miss British Curve pageant, which has now branched into Internationals! The first finals were held back in September 2017, and we got a chance to speak to the three international winners! 

Miss International Curve Emily Blake


Why did you enter Miss International Curve? I have always loved the stage since I was little and the added bonuses of doing a pageant include making new friends, learning more about yourself and other people, challenging yourself, becoming more confident... With the pageant directors being Sam and Leah from Miss British Beauty Curve, I knew it would be an amazing experience and one not to miss and if this was going to be my last pageant, it is part of the pageant system that I love so much being a past winner in 2014. 

What you have been doing in your winning year? So far I have taken part in the fab campaign and the I'm a Queen campaign. I have worked with my local Mind charity and a homeless charity called the Purfleet Trust. I am also working on my own workshops and programmes. I continue to promote self love and confidence through my work and social media and it is amazing how many people send messages saying how I have helped or inspired them.. It amazes me because I feel I haven't started yet.
Do you have a platform? If you, tell us more? My main passion is helping others to become more confident and realise their potential. I believe confidence is the key to just about everything! I also help charities in any way I can and enjoy working closely with ones local to me however I think we have so many important issues in the world that it’s impossible to choose one thing to speak about and support.

What would say to the queens who want to enter a curve pageant? Stop thinking and start applying! It's an amazing experience that can lead to so many wonderful things. The reasons for going for it far outweigh any reasons not to. Without entering Curve I wouldn't have had so many awesome experiences and met so many inspiring people, people who have become friends I can't imagine life without. I was approached to be a plus-size model after winning and it is something I found I loved to do, it also helped propel me forward with my presenting career as I was able to further make a name for myself after this added string to my bow. 

Ms International Curve Katherine Henry 

Why did you enter Ms International Curve? After winning Ms British Beauty Curve (MBBC) in 2015 and then placing within the top 10 of the Ms Category at United Kingdom Galaxy in 2017, I had well and truly caught the pageant bug and I was itching to get back on the stage. MBBC is a system that will always be very close to my heart and hearing that its directors; Samantha Coote and Leah Prescod were launching their International system, it really made entering a “no-brainer” for me.
These women are so underrated within the industry. They genuinely are two of the most down-to-earth, kind, generous and considerate pageant directors that I have ever had the pleasure of encountering. I was eager to help them take their International system to a truly worldwide scale. I felt that by being crowned one of their first three queens, we could work together to reach out to women all over the world allowing them to represent their heritage whilst working their curves all at the same time.
 What you have been doing in your winning year?  It’s been quite the whirlwind so far and I’m only a ¼ way through my reign.  I have been involved in two campaigns launched by my pageant sisters; #FAB – Fight Against Bullying by Emma King (Miss British Beauty Curve 2016/Miss Gibraltar Curve 2018) and The I’m A Queen Campaign by Tracey Haynes (Ms British Beauty Curve 2017/18).  Both of these campaigns are based around promoting self love for all, stamping out bullying and instilling body confidence in children which are all areas that I am extremely passionate about.
  Alongside my main sponsors BOOSTfit I have been able to help raise money for over 12 local charities. In one month alone we managed to raise £800 to send The Include Choir by coach to sing at the Parallel London 2017 Free Family Festival. I have modelled for various well known brands within the plus size fashion industry such as Viva Voluptuous UK and also worked alongside Yours Clothing to launch their #TakeThePledge campaign too.  The winter months tend to be relatively quiet on the pageant appearance front but I have already made over 25 appearances so far and I hope to be able to continue to do so for the remainder of my year.

Do you have a platform? If you, tell us more? For the last two years I have been squirreling away at creating my own initiative which I plan to launch in the very near future. The “Yes I Can” Initiative is designed to challenge stereotypes. Creating a community of like-minded people working together to change perception thus carving a different future.  This may sound super vague but it’s meant to be, it’s not ready for public consumption yet.  I want to make this a truly inclusive project and I hope that it will reach many and I promise you as soon as it launches you guys will be the first to hear about it!
What would say to the queens who want to enter a curve pageant? Pageants are a little like marmite, you either love them or hate them, but like all things in life, I truly believe you should try everything once before you judge it.  Pageants may not be your cup of tea and you know what, that’s ok...but you never know until you try it.  I would have never believed that I would be a pageant kinda girl, but being involved in pageantry has honestly changed my life. I know it sounds cliché but it really has. 

I have met such wonderfully inspiring women, some of which I call family and not just within the MBBC or MIC systems either.  As a plus size woman, I never dreamt I would feel so welcome within mainstream pageants, but at the end of the day we are all women and we all have very common goals to promote regardless of what our individual platforms are.  Pageants are not all about the aesthetics, believe me there is SO much more to it but you will never really see it until you are fully immersed in it. So, dive right in, what have you got to lose?

Mrs International Curve Sophie- Lead Brady


 Why did you enter Mrs International Curve? I was lucky enough to win my place in Miss International Curve this year after winning Mrs British Beauty Curve along-side my sister queens Miss British Beauty Curve (Emily Diapre) and Ms British Beauty Curve Tracey Haynes. I had always battled with the way I looked in the mirror and had always had the mindset that I wasn’t good enough for anything. MBBC, MIC and all my sister Queens (past & present) have changed that.
What you have been doing in your winning year? There is so much I am working on at the moment. But one of the most important is used my title to educate people about the importance of being on the donor list. This is something that is very close to my heart.
What would say to the queens who want to enter a curve pageant?It’s incredible what competing in a Curve pageant does for you; weather you win a crown or not. You make friends from all over the country/world for life. We are one big happy family with lovely directors. I want people to see themselves the way I see them. Beautiful women of all shapes, sizes & abilities. If I can do it anyone can!! Go for it!

Three wonderful curvy queens, thank you for talking to Sparkles and Rhinestones! If you would like to find out more about the Miss International Curve pageant then find them on Facebook, or search Instagram for some slaying photos of the queens, curves and those crowns!!





Comments

Post a Comment