Queen Saturday- Face of the World

Queen Saturday brings you some Disney magic now with the current Face of Europe and the World Sian. Sian won her title back in November and has been everywhere, showing off her iconic crown (can you see the Micky mouse designs!?!) so we were very lucky to grab a quick chat all about pageantry!

Thank you Sian for featuring in Queen Saturday! Tell us about your title and how you prepared for it? 
 I am your 2018-19 Face of Europe and the World. To prepare for the finals I attended as many local/charity events as I could, I volunteered at Headway in Folkestone as this is the pageant's chosen charity and I organised my own fundraising events. I really worked hard on this aspect as I felt  it was the most important part for and I wanted to teach my daughter Lyla (5), who competed with me about the importance of charity and volunteer work. I didn’t really prepare much for what I was going to do on stage other than my speech.

Amazing! What do you have planned for the rest of your titleholder year?

 So as well as continuing my charity work and attending local events, I have been lucky enough to be asked to judge some of this years heats of Face of Europe and the World - including Face of Northern Ireland which I got to travel to Belfast for, somewhere I’d never been as well as judging at a few other pageant systems. This is really exciting for me as it’s a completely new experience and certainly interesting to be on the other side of the table.

 I feel like every time I put my sash on I’m doing something completely different, over the last 6 months I’ve; climbed Mount Snowdon for charity, been featured in an online magazine, taught cookie decorating at Headway in Folkestone, visited and handed out gifts and a children’s hospital, did bag
packing in Sainsbury’s to raise money for MS, attended a Christmas light switch on, judged and handed out awards at a local dance show, done a photoshoot and modeled in a charity fashion
auction.

 I’m basically trying to make the most of the title and do as much as I can with it. I’ll be at the Annual Headway Gala in a few weeks which was one of my favourite events from last year, it’s so inspiring to meet people from Headway and to hear their stories of how the charity has helped them with life after a brain injury. In June myself and my daughter are doing a sponsored run for Demelza house
too.

Sounds like a jam packed year! Can you tell us about your platform, or charity you are fundraising for?

. At the moment I am focusing on raising awareness and funds for Headway East Kent, that’s what Face of the World was established for and as the senior titleholder it’s important for me to continue that work.

 In terms of choosing my own personal platform I’m still struggling to decide because there’s so many topics that need more awareness raised for them and it’s hard to know which one to prioritize.

 Recycling and reducing plastic is one I’m particularly interested in, mental health is another. If I continue in pageantry I will definitely have to pick one but right now I’m still not sure, watch this space!!

Some great issues there! Speaking of platforms, what is your favourite part of pageantry?

 I love speeches, I think it gives the audience and judges a really great opportunity to get to know more about the contestants and who they are outside of the pageant world. I must admit it was also the round I was most nervous about when I competed at FOEW, after that was over I felt like I could relax a bit.

 In terms of watching pageants, I love seeing national costumes or handmade outfits, it’s great to see people’s creativity shine through.

Public Speaking can make us all nervous! But it must of helps as you have the crown! Can you tell us your favourite moment of your pageantry career so far? 

 I actually think my favourite moment was last year during the finals, I had finished my speech and was walking towards the judges table to show off my evening gown when my little girl ran over to give me a cuddle - which I did. It just reminded me that no matter what I’m doing in the pageant world, Lyla always comes first after all she’s the reason I’m back here again after 10 years of being away.

Lastly, any advice to aspiring pageant queens?

 My advice would be enjoy every moment and make the most of the experience, every pageant you do is an incredible opportunity to meet new people, make new friends and get your message out there whatever it may be.

 Don’t waste the time worrying and stressing, have fun that’s what pageantry is about after all.

You can follow Sian's journey on Facebook through the Face of Europe and The World Page. Thank you for reading and if you would like to tell your story, message us <3

Comments