Queen Saturday: Team County Durham Galaxy

Queen Saturday is back again, the last of 2018 and we've heard some amazing stories from all over pageant world in the UK! This week's Queen Saturday features 4 queens from Team County Durham, all competing at the Galaxy finals next March, taking 4 different age catorgies! Will these queens be going to Morocco AND Orlando, Flordia?! Take a read of their stories and what inspired them to compete, as well as the sisterhood of their local pageant queens! 


How did you get into pageants and what is your current title?
I am Miss Junior County Durham galaxy and I got into pageants after watching my older sister compete in miss teen great britain. I saw how much fun she had and really wanted to give it a go! In 
the lead up to the galaxy finals I have been working really hard using my title to encourage and support the younger pageant girls


What have you been doing on the lead up to the galaxy finals?
I have Organised 2 charity pageants. Modelled in fashion shows. Abseiled down 120 ft tower and is now on planning a trip to morocco to visit an orphange. My big charity adventure is a trip to morocco to visit an orphanage. This is a huge achievement for my and I am so excited to tackle the adventure. I anticipate that it will be quite sad but I know we are all doing such an amazing job! We are taking much needed supplies for them also which includes: Clothing Nappies Milk and of course lots of cuddles. 

Tell me about your big charity adventure and if you have a platform?
My platform charity is the solan connor fawcett family cancer trust. This is an amazing charity who help people with cancer. I have had first hand experience with my aunty viki. The charity helped viki until the end of her life so its a charity close to my heart.


How does it feel to have your County Durham beauty queens beside you on this journey?
Its going to be extra special to have the co durham galaxy queens all together in morocco. We help and support each other. There is no i in team and the co durham girls are an amazing team.


Kayleigh 

How did you get into pageants and what is your current title?

Hey everyone; so I am Mrs County Durham Galaxy and this is my second time on the Galaxy stage. I entered pageants after losing 5 stone with weight watchers and still labelled as ‘over weight’ according to the NHS BMI scale. I work in children’s mental health as a paediatric nurse and I know how detrimental to someone’s mental health this sentence could have been. I instantly wanted to campaign about negative labels, promoting positive body image, really focusing on the healthy heart and mind. So I did a few google searches with the aim to share my platform and Ta Da daaaa...
that brings us to my first time on the pageant stage, which was Galaxy uk in 2017, placing 4th runner up.

What have you been doing on the lead up to the galaxy finals?

I have completed weekly appearances ranging from attending or judging pageants , entering Kevin’s zip wire and also flying to Morocco to volunteer in a baby orphanage. I have promoted body positivity in my leotard and no makeup photo shoots, I have held my own charity events and most of all supported as many charities as I possibly could to make a difference with my title .I have laughed, cried and made amazing friends along the way and I am so thankful to Galaxy for this.

Tell me about your big charity adventure and if you hav
e a platform?
Ok so I may have already touched upon this, but I am a huge advocate for feeling confident in your own skin, but to also be fit and healthy. I am a dress size 16 and proud. I work hard at the gym (ask my PT 🤣) I eat cake and I have a balanced healthy lifestyle. I work in mental health and come across body confidence and self esteem issues daily. I want the world to know that everyone is beautiful in their own way, they just have to find themselves, their quality’s and learn to love what they have.

We need a mixture of all body shapes in the media and wipe out stereotypes of how you ‘should look’ or what people feel society is ‘looking for’ and I really truly believe pageants are doing this! Pageants are ruling the world!

Let’s tackle the subject of the big charity adventure! MOROCCO 🇲🇦

When doing my paediatric nurse training, i always always always wanted to go away and work in a country less fortune and offer my nurse services. The County Durham Girls have talked about volunteering in Morocco for so long now and I knew I really wanted to do this. We will be volunteering in a baby orphanage taking over suitcases of supplies so please please donate. Message us directly to support this amazing cause. It’s a fabulous once in a life time opportunity. We are all so naturally caring and nurturing individuals and we really wanted to do this as a personal achievement. But our Galaxy Title’s really dis give us the final push to go and book it . 



 How does it feel to have your County Durham beauty queens beside you on this journey?


Life would be lonely with out friends and let’s face it, you can change the world quicker with more than one pair of hands , our County Durham team really means that we can support each other to the end. We are like sisters really! we are making amazing memories, we are there to share the success of each others achievements and it means we always have a photographer!

Pageants have brought us closer and we are certainly united as a team

Natasha 

How did you get into pageants and what is your current title?
I first got into pageants when my mam signed me up to one about 6 years ago. Before pageants I was a shy little girl that didn’t say a lot and had a tendency to just stay in the background. After 6 years of pageantry I am so proud of the person I have become today. My current title is Miss County Durham Galaxy. And by gosh! I have never felt so proud to have this title. Since getting this title I believe that in the past few months it has transformed me as a person. Taking every opportunity that comes my way I have truly taken full advantage of this title and I cannot wait to see what the future holds with it.

What have you been doing on the lead up to the galaxy finals?
In the lead up to the galaxy finals I have done anything and everything to enjoy the experience. From taking part in miss galaxy England’s calendar shoot to planning to go and volunteer in a Moroccan orphanage in February just before the finals. My charity total for the Christie is gradually increasing and I have so many BIG events planned, so watch this space! Over the past 6 years I have raised just short of £10k for numerous charities and I cannot wait to add to this!


Tell me about your big charity adventure and if you have a platform?
Well, I have covered most of this question in the second one. But…. I have a dream total that I would like to raise for the Christie. But shh… it’s a secret! All I can say is that it is a BIG one and I can only hope that all my hard work pays off. I will be doing a sponsored zip wire for The Christie in February (BUSY MONTH, I KNOW). I love this charity so much as it supports something that we are all affected by, one way or another, so it’s something that we can all relate to. In terms of having a platform, I would say that mine is to promote chasing dreams. I want people to never give up. In pageantry I’ve had many hurdles in my way, but that won’t defeat me, I promise. 

How does it feel to have your County Durham beauty queens beside you on this journey?

Having my County Durham ladies by my side means absolutely everything to me! Kayleigh and Katie are two amazing people that I’ve known for quite a long time. We have been through a lot together and I couldn’t think of anyone better to be on our team! Also Rebecca, we haven’t know Rebecca for long, but MY GOD! It feels like a life time! All these girls are my absolute besties and I’m so excited for them all. 


Rebecca

How did you get into pageants and what is your current title?

After modelling at the County Durham and Teeside heats of the Miss GB for DC Couture I met with Chloe and Jasmine the current title holders. I asked them about their titles, journeys and applied from that.

What have you been doing on the lead up to the galaxy finals?


Gosh where do I start, I have been super busy doing fundraising in my local areas for charities such as Daisy Chain Project, CEO sleep-out, Zoe’s Place as well as a Christie Charity. I have been attending my local North East pageants and even got the chance to crown at the last one. I’ve volunteered with Darlington Town Mission a friend service for over 80s, I’m helping out at the local food bank and feeding the homeless on Christmas Day. I’ve appeared at Balls and Christmas lights switch ons and I have lots more planned.



Tell me about your big charity adventure and if you have a platform?

My latest big charity platform adventure was the CEO Sleep-out where I raised over £900 sleeping rough for one night to raise awareness and funds for poverty and homelessness in Darlington. My next one is my own organised event within my sponsors shop in Darlington where we are doing a charity cracker event. The next big one I have is the Tower Run which is for Christie!

How does it feel to have your County Durham beauty queens beside you on this journey?


Words can’t describe how overwhelmed and thankful I am for their support. Being a new pageant queen I have been very nervous and the County Durham girls have really made me feel welcome. We try to see each other as much as we can at events, fundraising and pageants and I’ve made not only sister queens but best friends for life.


Comments