Once, Twice, Three Times Miss Great Britain- Queen Saturday with Miss GB 2018

 This week's Queen Saturday comes from the South West where in September Kobi-Jean Cole was crowned the 2018 winner of Miss Great Britain, winning on her third attempt! Kobi has represented Bristol three times and has walked away with the crown, there must be something in the Bristol air as Imogen Miss Teen Bristol also won the Miss Teen Great Britain on her third attempt too! We talked to the well deserved winner about her plans as Miss Great Britain and those internationals coming up!! 

1. How did you get into pageants? 

 I got into pageants when I was 20 years old, I had never thought about entering pageants before and never even knew they were big in England and I absolutely never thought that I would win one!  I was going through a pretty messy break up when my nan told me about Miss Bristol. I actually wasn't going to do it but remember my Nan really wanted me to and I just wanted to do it for her, the more I thought about it I wanted to do it for me too. I wanted to prove to my nieces and nephews that when you're going through a bad time, we have to make those negatives vibes into positive one, and thats what I did . I revised pageants and got my self clued up on what was expected, and went on to win Miss Bristol not knowing it meant I qualified for Miss Great Britain. It was pretty cool and scary all at once!

Photo by Stacey Clarke

2. It took you three attempts to win your dream title of Miss Great Britain, how have you prepared over the years and what are your plans for internationals?

It did indeed take me three attempts and even though at the time I thought I did my best I know now that it wasn't my year and I am thankful that I didn't win the title then because I had other things that I needed to do in that time. The first year I placed 4th and was so incredible shocked as it was my first national pageant,  fell over on stage and I did something wrong in every single round! It was all an experience for me and I was expecting nothing. I then went travelling around Asia and Australia for 5 months and decided whilst I was travelling to re apply because this year it was a web heat ( I felt like this was a sign and I had to enter, I actually entered whilst I was in a hostel and found out whilst I was in a hostel in Australia that I was successful) .. the first year I really focused on my body and was 100% focused on that and not much else.

The second time I focused on the charity side of things a lot more and still focused on my body, I felt I had absolute done my best this time and placed 5th which was obviously lower, and for a few days it knocked my confidence because I honestly felt I couldn't give any more.... then I watched myself back and realised that I wasn't being myself, I was subconsciously putting on a facade. I decided to take a year off in which I moved to London and fully focused on myself... this year I came back focusing on everything equally, my body wasn't as toned but my mind was 100% happy and it really shone through as it was revealed that I won by unanimous decision. I think the secret is honest being yourself, that Is your biggest super power, believe in you and everyone else will too.


3. What is your platform and any charities you are working with?

My platform is definitely anti bullying. I think it’s super cliche but this is honestly so close to my heart and I won’t ever name names but someone close to me really did suffer and it broke my heart because if I’m being honest I didn’t know how to help, I was at a lose end. This person actually ended up in hospital and that’s when I realised, there is not enough help. And that really does need to change, we live in a generation in which it is so easy to bully and it doesn’t go away when you leave school it is constant in social media and in manifests.
I am also working on something to do with cpr as that’s a skill I believe every single person should be taught this skill, we could literally have the power to save life’s! We have no idea when we need to use cpr or when our life will be in someone else’s hands, it’s literally life or death and if you don’t know cpr it’s not likely to be a good outcome. I have lots of other things I’m passionate about but for know these two are what I am focusing on.


4. What advice would you give to woman looking to get into pageants, and the ones who have placed but not won?

My advice would be this; if you want to meet a group of women who will support you and empower you and help create the best version of you then enter pageants. Pageants have honestly changed my life and gave me so much confidence. If you haven’t had your crowning moment yet then it just hasn’t been your time yet but it will be. Please don’t give up, I would advise that you take a step back and maybe take a year out to focus on something else and go back fresh and ready!
Figure out if the pageant you are in is the pageant most suited to you and what you believe in and if it is then believe in yourself and envision yourself why the crown and one day it will happen. I would also advise everyone to read “The Secret” by Rhonda Byrne and focus on self development.

Thank you so much to Kobi and a huge congratulations, and wishing all the luck at internationals! If you would like to enter next year's Miss GB, find them on Facebook! Also, if you would like to share your pageant story then drop us a message!

Comments