The luck of the Irish- Meet Miss Crown and Glory Ireland 2018

It's Queen Saturday here at Sparkles and Rhinestones, and we have ventured to Ireland to share the amazing story of fellow pageant mumma, director, endo warrior and overall general amazing human being that is Anouska Black. Anouska shows us that you can be all these titles and more, being a successful director as well as leading by example with her current title of Miss Crown and Glory Ireland. Read what she had to say with our Queen Saturday Questions! 
  
 How did you get into pageants and what is your current title?

  I started modelling at 22, however I never, ever considered entering a pageant. I never thought of myself as pretty or a pageant girl and I will never be 6 foot tall or a size 6. I had glanced at a few competitions in Northern Ireland but they are few and far between, but most had rules and restrictions such as age or having children. In late 2014, aged 25 & just after my third major surgery for endometriosis and being bed after having several organs separated, life was extremely miserable and daytime TV & Facebook became the main forms of distraction in life for several weeks. During one of these late night Facebook scrolling I came across an advertisement for the Face of Northern Ireland and simply thought "Why not? what's the worst that could happen?" I was accepted as a finalist a few months later and my pageant journey began. My life was about to change & little did I know then what the future held and that the next year I would have been asked to take over & directing both the Face of Northern Ireland & UK Photographic and I am the current Miss Crown & Glory Ireland 2018-19.
What is your platform and how do you promote it as a titleholder?

The Crown & Glory UK system's chosen charity is Abbies Army and who I am fund raising for at the moment,having more events planned to raise as much as possible before nationals. Personally my main platform is to raise as much awareness for endometriosis as possible. 1 in 10 women live with endometriosis; as many as diabetes, but many have never even heard of it. "Living" life is not easy or fun when your body is attacking you daily with your organs sticking together but as soon as I won my first title I really started working hard on using my platform to change people's lives and am continuing to do so. I have received so much support from the media here having several articles in countless newspapers and magazines here and in England & even been interviewed live on radio. All this has helped many women get the treatment or diagnosis they need and even brought it to the attention of Stormont.

What have you been doing on the lead up to your finals, and what would you like to continue if you win?

 As a Miss Crown & Glory Ireland finalist I have worked hard doing appearances and promoting the system here as much as possible. After winning the title a few weeks ago I have already raised vital funds for Abbies Army, have had interviews for magazine and papers, been bringing my crown and sash to photoshoots and charity events and also been asked to judge the Face of Scotland this weekend as well as Little Miss or Mr Wish a Wish here next month. As a single mother, university student, pageant director, competitor whilst being a full time sick person is hard to manage sometimes but it's worth it and I am trying my best to show how serious I am taking this opportunity. If I won I would be absolutely delighted and really use the next year to promote the system and pageantry in general as it is very much needed but very misunderstood in Northern Ireland.

What made you decide to be on both sides of pageants, directing and competing?

 After competing in the Face of Europe and the World I was ecstatic to place 9th in the world winning Miss Personality. However I had alot of regrets... I had the most amazing journey but had no real directorship on the lead up to world finals and felt I could have done better if I had been better prepared; so when I was asked to direct the Face of UK Photographic I jumped at the chance. Having modelled for several years I built up a good rapor with many industry professionals here and was able to give my sister queens many opportunities which they loved. It ignited a new found passion and I was then asked to be the new Face of Northern Ireland director. I was nervous but excited and after deep consideration I accepted this amazing opportunity and worked my butt off for 6 months, resulting in the best Face of Northern Ireland final there's ever been.

Since then the hard work has continued with more opportunities and more invites to events with the best team I could have wished for, but I missed competing and seeing rhe excitement and fire my team has. At 28 this was my last chance to compete for a "Miss" title and as my last title was UK I also wanted to represent Ireland at some point and I am so proud I have accomplished that goal. My new goal is to continue to represent Ireland to the best of my ability whilst supporting and training my Face of Northern Ireland team ready for Face of Europe and the World in November. 2018 is proving to be a very, very exciting year and I cannot wait to see what else is in-store!

Comments