Mental Health and Miss Beauty UK


Miss Beauty UK will be crowning their new winners next SATURDAY in Bridgend, in which the winners will be representing the Miss Beauty UK brand but also helping raise awareness for the pageant's charity, GREAT MINDS, a charitable organisation dedicated to Mental Health.

Miss Beauty UK is now in it's third year, changing directors to Tracey Edwards, the current Mrs Worldwide, who wanted a pageant to be seen not only for the onstage but also behind the scenes which is why the contestants will earn more marks off stage with their charitable efforts. Contestants will open in National Wear, show off their eco creations in Eco Wear, wow the judges in fashion wear and finally finish the show in evening gowns. Not only will UK winner's be crowned, but there is also a chance for country's and ambassador's to be crowned, creating more chances to walk away with a crown. 

(Director Tracey: Photo Simon Payne Photography)

Not only is Tracey the director of Miss Beauty UK but she is also the founder of Great Minds and an advocate of Mental Health.

"  In my life, I've had to rely on the kindness of charities and organisations that support people going through tough times such as womens aid,  new pathways,  the list is endless.
However,  I saw a huge gap in the charitable market.  I would see online, people constantly giving  things away and I would ponder in my head that I could of used that in my time of need (especially when flying to Ireland just to get away from my dangerous ex, having no cooker in my house when I had young children).
It took about 5 years or so, if not more, for my injuries conpensation to come through - I didn't want to claimed originally,  because I felt it was dirty.  But by the time it came through,  I worked out what I wanted to do with it - my whole life I had been a punch bag, homeless and abuse case so I felt I could make a real difference to some peoples lives.  Not by donating it to a big charity or organisation where only 10 percent goes to the cause, but by creating something of my own and supporting mental health.
For the past 6 years, iv been running my own enterprises, to help support people in crisis. This is where most of the money went.  On petrol running thousands of miles across wales. Postage costs, sending to people who are too far away.  Paying for overheads, the list is endless. 
I've wanted to incorporate mental health into a pageant for a long time. Im a big beleiver that everything happens for a reason,  and in october 2017, the original director of MBUK asked if I wanted to take it over because I'd helped the year before and she knew what i wanted to do.
This is where Miss Beauty UK and Great Minds Pathways came together
The organisation supports anyone who us genuenly in need of support of any type, even if we Cant give financially or physical support,  we can sign post them to other organisations such as womens aid, counsilling, self help groups etc.
Iv been a victim most of my life with all types of abuse and there isnt enough help out there to stop the vicious circle,  so I want to use the pageant and Great Minds Pathway,  to make a better world for the economy amd ozone, along with helping those who cant find help else where!"

Miss Beauty UK contestants are encouraged to fundraise for the charitable organisation  not just with money, but in donations as well, from clothes, bras, broken jewlerry and other items that can be used to aid the charity. We spoke to a few contestants on their mental health views and how they have been preparing for next weeks final;

(Jade Dando- Miss Beauty UK Cornwall)

"I have suffered with both anxiety and depression over the past 5 years. Although some days I seem fine, I’m always living with it. It has stopped me from taking part in events and social activities with friends at times as sometimes I find it hard to even get out of bed. Although I’m getting better over the years it’s something I hold very close to me but a cause I often support. I work alongside MIND in Cornwall to help promote the services available both at my uni and in my local area. It won’t magically go away but there is so much help on offer now that a lot of people are unaware of!
The pageant preparations has been tough and busy but it’s something I enjoy overall! I can’t wait to have everything finally together at the finals next week!"

(Bailey Kennady- Miss Beauty UK Teen Derbyshire)

I used to love school then one day the bullies started first it was just name calling but then it got worse. I tried to first I started self harming and now I have scars that some have needed stitches and some haven’t but I now look at them and know I have come through this and I am stronger person than I was. I also tried to throw myself off a bridge once but then I thought no that would be letting the bullies win and I won’t do that.
My mum took me out of school and has home schooled me for the last couple of years and it has been much better. I was asked if I wanted to do a pageant one day by my mum but I wouldn’t let her enter me because I told her that I wasn’t letting her pay for someone to tell me how fat and ugly I was when I knew that for free. But then I got a sponsored place and I decided hey it didn’t cost me anything so go for it and I am glad I did.
I have been doing it about 2 years now and I love pageants it’s given me confidence again. I still get anxious and scared and a little paranoid that people might see me how the bullies saw me but I haven’t had anyone say anything like that to me but my anxiety really only plays up the night before a pageant once I get there and I get going all my fears seem to flow away because I am with friends and I know no what a true friend is the words will never leave me but I don’t let them control me anymore ."

(Louise- Miss Beauty UK Rugby)

"I have suffered with depression from childhood, bullied at home, bullied at school, no place was safe and I left home as soon as I could for university. There I had my childhood as such and went on to work in fashion design but again was always troubled.
My business took off but when pregnant with my daughter I became very sick. I had to close my lifelong dream of a business down but I had my incredible little girl Kendra, I also had severe post natal depression. I fought and beat it and had another child and again the depression came but I knew this time and was prepared.
My children grew and Kendra became a pageant girl, she has special needs, on the spectrum. even started competing with her and she loved it, so now we compete together, with mummy right by her side and now her little brother who is notably autistic. 
So now I prepare for this pageant, I have been having such a clear out, found a load of old jewellery,  a huge de-clutter, collecting bottle tops and despite being really poorly for weeks before the new year playing catch up while also doing my usual voluntary animal work and teaching people to sew on the side for free.... making costumes - the usual stuff I would do but in aid of Miss Beauty UK's great causes."

(Sasha- Miss Beauty UK Dorest)

 "I have suffered with depression for most of my adult life. Triggered by trauma initially but over time the cycles of depression haven’t always coincided with adverse life events. Sometimes the body’s hormones just go out of kilter and the low self-worth, guilt, low energy, poor concentration & irritability hit. 
When I entered my first pageant (coerced) I was worried about being overweight with a physical disability and no confidence. In truth I was terrified but I had promised my daughter I would do it. After all, at her first pageant she couldn’t even tell people her name) yet by her 4th pageant she had found her stage sass.
Having spoken to contestants of various ages since, many girls have been bullied and have low self worth. Pageantry gives them an outlet to be themselves, stand tall and shine!"
(The 2016/17 winners)

The message not only comes from the contestants, but from the past winners themselves. 

Rebecca Miss Beauty UK Woman writes;

" I entered my first pageant in 2016 ,Id put on a whopping 4 stone being pregnant with my little boy, stretch marks, double chin you name it. I gave birth to a beautiful little boy and was extremely grateful, he was my life, still is but weeks were passing by and I felt disgusting and my confidence dropped.  I searched the internet by typing 'Mrs beauty competitions' and Galaxy was at the top of the search engine. After placing top 10 and feeling uplifted I entered MBUK. I attended even more appearances including a car wash, modelling at a charity night, fundraising etc. I felt even more ready for the finals. I joined an amazing bunch of girls, of all ages, shapes and sizes. It was great, and for not giving up I took home the crown. I was crowned Beauty UK woman 2016. The new title gave me a huge confident boost I felt like I could take on anything... July 1st I held my very first event and raised 500 pounds for the British Heart Foundation. It has been a great year as a queen, sad to no longer hold the title but I am truly grateful for the person it has made me and I hope the next lady to step in my shoes has the accomplishment that I have."

Fiona Johnson- Miss Beauty UK writes;

"From someone who years ago would never dream of competing in something like this due to lack of confidence, disliking my body image and low self esteem. I was always worried about not being pretty enough, being overweight or simply never good enough. I can safely say pageants have had a positive effect and made me realise I can do anything I set my mind too, it’s given me confidence, and I’ve never felt as confident as I do when I’m on that stage. Pageants and the people involved in them really do help lift your spirits, it’s okay not to be okay sometimes. Just always remember you’re never alone in anything and you’re stronger than you may think.
Bringing my title into perspective; I honestly couldn’t summarise how much fun and the many adventures I’ve had with this it. Being my first U.K. title it’s definitely a special one to me; one I’ll never forget. I was determined I’d get this title, I put in 120% and it paid off.
Handing my title over is going to be a little on the sad side for me, but I’m forever grateful for having that title and being apart of the MBUK system. It’s been a great learning curve for me, I’ve found my feet and gained more confidence and experience all within my reign.  As sad as it might be handing over my title, I’m going to most definitely use my experience and time as Miss Beauty UK to help me towards my next adventure wherever it may be.  Looking back on my reign, I wouldn’t change a thing and I’d like to wish my successor all the best and I hope you enjoy your reign as much as I did!"

(A winning moment can last a lifetime!)

If you would like to watch the Miss Beauty UK finals, find their facebook page with all the details in where to get tickets and the venue. If you would like to find out more about their chosen charity please search Great Minds Pathway on facebook to be able to see how you can help. Remember Mental Health is just as important as physical health, and as you can see from this blog piece there are so many who go through depression and other illnesses, you are not alone <3























Comments