Queen Saturday- Miss Inspiration

Queen Saturday this time brings us the Queens of Miss Inspiration! Miss Inspiration was set up in 2012 by former Mrs UK World Lydia who wanted to create a system that empowered woman, that they could come to and feel inspired, and inspire other with their actions. The 2019 finals were held in April, where five new winners joined the inspiration family and we got to talk to most of the queens about their journey so far and how it feels finally wearing those crowns on their heads!

 Woman- Cassie

Hello Cassie! Now we have both competed in Inspiration together, so it’s lovely to see you with that crown! Tell us about the journey to this moment?

This is the 3rd time I'd competed in Miss Inspiration and I was determined to be more organised! It was my first pageant after a few years out of pageant land, my first as a Mrs and my first as a woman, as I'd also turned 29 so had aged up in my break too. 
In the lead up to the finals I spoke to local businesses about raffles which Vanity Fair Hair salon agreed to do to help me with my charity fundraising. I organised a family BBQ with help of my grandfather. I gave a talk at my slimming world class. I took food to ty Nant Cat shelter. I was invited to events as Mrs Inspiration Carmarthenshire and even got a photo with the 6 nations trophy!My favourite appearance has be being asked to a local nursery as Belle but also wearing my Sash and explaining I was going to meet lots of Queens. 

Yes, being Welsh it must of felt amazing holding that silverware like the national team! Speaking of trophies, how did it feel to finally have that crowning moment and be called out as the winner!

Shocked. I really couldn't believe it! I made top 10 my first time and top 5 the 2nd time I competed, so to make Top 2 was higher than I'd placed before so I was happy with that. The beautiful Tristan had won 2 of 3 certificates for the scored rounds and I'd won the 3rd so I was pretty sure the Crown was hers. They call the runners-up name first but when my name wasn't called it took me a few seconds to realise what had happened. I couldn't believe I’d actually (finally) won a title at miss Inspiration! I've entered a few different pageant systems over the years but I have always come back to inspiration because it feels like family so I couldn't be happier to be one of their queens. 

We love a pageant that feels like home! Now that you have your crown, what will you be doing for the rest of the year?

I want to make the most of my title, I want to attend more pageants so I can spend as much time in pageant land as possible and also with my sister Queens and wonderful director Lydia. I need a photoshoot with Charlotte Clemie too. I want to carry on spending time using my title to support my platforms, more about that below. 

Well that leads into the next question, what is your platform and tell us a little bit more?

Any one who knows me, knows there are two things I'm passionate about. Animals and theatre. So for me it makes sense to make these my platform. After winning my crown, I've supported my auntie with her work with West Wales poundies. A dog rescue who help dogs on 'death row'. They do some incredible work and are currently fundraising for their own kennels. I've worked on a few of their events and the team of volunteers work so hard on providing for dogs in their care. Please check them out on Facebook and any support with fundraising or donation would be so greatly appreciated. 

Theatre is something I've always loved and worked professionally in for over a decade
 I ended my professional theatre career nearly 3 years ago but have spent my time since then volunteering with local groups backstage. I think theatre has so many positives that aren't always obvious. I helped with a community drama group for children for several years and the changes I saw in the children attending was incredible, their confidence on and off stage would grow so much so quickly. Social skills, compassion and understanding would all develop in such a positive way. Theatre isn't always accessible to people with many schools dropping drama all together. So I'm determined to support as many community ameatr theatre groups as possible to give as many people the opportunity to experience theatre, on or off stage or in the audience. 

Lastly, do you have any advice for pageant queens reading this who would like to get back into it, or just starting out?

Just do it. If you don't like it, that's fine but I'd rather do something to find it's not for me than regret never doing it. Don't make excuses and most importantly don't worry about what people think. There will always be people who don't like pageants or believe they are empowering (probably because they've never been involved- I was that person) It’s how you feel that matters and if they are people that care about you, then they will be happy”y seeing you doing something you love. So just do it!

Abby- Junior Teen

Welcome Abby! Now, like Cassie, you have competed more than once at Inspiration. Tell us about the lead up to this years finals? 

I have competed in the Miss Inspiration pageant twice, the first time back in 2017 where I placed 2nd runner up! On the run up to the finals I made lots of appearances supporting my local community and talking to people about the miss inspiration system. So many people usually don't understand what pageantry is about, so its great to have the chance to explain about pageants, and the charity fundraising that goes with it. I also took part in lots of online appearances to raise awareness of lots of other causes too.

How did it feel when your name was announced not as a runner up, but as a winner?

In total disbelief! I honestly thought Ruby had won the title,I looked down at my family and saw them cheering me on and realised it was me, I was just in total shock and so happy but felt bad for Ruby too as she was just so amazing! 

Such a nice moment, and sadly there can only be one winner! But let’s hope Ruby follows your lead and never gives up, then she will get that crown! Now you have the title you wanted, what are your plans for the rest of the year?

I plan to make the rest of my year making lots of appearances in my local community, so far I've been featured in the South Wales Argus on winning my Inspiration title, I attended my local under 18s football team winning the league cup and have attended a few school fetes promoting the miss inspiration system and sharing with young girls my experience in pageantry. I hope to put on a charity pageant of my own soon also to raise funds for miss inspirations chosen charity. Along with all my sister queens, I hope to make a difference in our communities and causes.

Very excited to see all your plans and I love seeing sister queens out together! Do you have a platform in pageantry?

My platform is cancer..My family has a wide history of different types of cancer so I feel it’s important to raise as much awareness about this disease as possible. I've raised funds for the Teenage Cancer Trust as well as the charity Dreams and Wishes, and next I hope to raise awareness for Brain Tumour Cancer as my great grandmother died from this. I believe it’s important to raise awareness about all cancers, as the sooner you check yourself out, the quicker a diagnosis can be made and the chances of survival will be greater.

Such an important platform to raise awareness for, prevention is key! Any advice for girls looking to get into pageantry?

Go for it! When I first started in pageantry I was very nervous and apprehensive, but everyone was so nice that I eased into it pretty quickly, my confidence has flourished since I started and over the years of competing in various systems my confidence has grown so much! It’s amazing how many lifelong friends you make along the way, I love the inspiration sisterhood so so much, we are a family. To me,being on that stage showing who you are and being yourself is not only rewarding but empowering as well. I would advise anyone struggling with confidence and self esteem issues to give it go, you never know you may even win the crown and if not the crown, you will come away with friendship, confidence, self esteem and happy memories and an urge to compete again and again! 

Little Miss- Isabelle

Welcome to our littlest queen! Can you tell us about what you did before getting your crown?

In the lead up to the final I did a lot of fundraising by organising a superhero dress up day at my school and I organised with the help of my mum a music concert. I did appearances all around my local area, donating to food banks, the dogs home and charity shops. 

That’s amazing! How did it feel to be a winner after all that stage time!

It was a WOW moment as I wasn't expecting it at all. I was so happy I couldn't stop smiling!

Much deserved! What plans do you have for the rest of your year? 

I plan to attend local events and fundraisers, wear my crown and sash with pride and spread the good word and work of Miss Inspiration.

Even though you are little, you have a platform, can you tell us more?

As my mum is in remission from cancer this is close to my heart. Cancer affects so many people directly and indirectly. Having experienced how cancer can affect a family I want to do as much as I can to raise awareness and fundraise for the different cancer charities. 

A massive well done to mum for being in remission and sending lots of good luck vibes! Lastly, any advice for girls looking to get into pageantry? 

Just do it! You'll make the best friends.  It's fun, exciting and even scary getting up on the big stage especially when you’re only 8 years old, but now I think I can do anything I set my mind to!

Teen- Rebecca

Welcome Rebecca! The last time I interviewed you was for Pageant Magazine about the comeback queens, as you’ve tried so many times for this crown! Tell us how you prepared for your winning year?

In the lead up to the finals I did a lot of preparations for each round. I wanted to show my personality throughout the whole weekend, so chose I my outfits carefully to reflect this. I practiced my walk and decided to do something a little different. I practiced my interview with friends and family, knowing I only had 3 minutes to get across everything about myself. I felt it was really important to practice honing in on the most important key points about myself, including the fact that I have never really had the confidence in the past to talk about my Anxiety and OCD, which has lead me to deal with depression. Also, how I love to keep really busy and actively involved within my community to help me focus on positively making a difference to my happiness and to the lives of others.

I wanted to show my dedication to inclusion through the appearances I made in the lead up to the final, attending events and visiting each charity and community organisation I volunteer and work with. Using donations that I receive on a regular basis from the community to help with my fundraising event to raise funds for the 2019 Miss Inspiration chosen charity Clic Sargent, carefully presenting them in my appearance folder which I also wanted to make sure reflected my personality. I chose a bright rainbow coloured scrapbook and included some inspirational quotes which I live by and which I will now have forever to reflect back on.

How did that moment of winning feel like?

I was so overwhelmed, I had so many different feelings and emotions running through me that it's really difficult to explain how I felt. It was like a dream, all I remember is collapsing in tears into the arms of my 1st runner up, I still pinch myself now to make sure I am not still dreaming, the night I was crowned I did not sleep for fear I would wake up and find it was not real! I am truly honoured to be a part of the Miss Inspiration UK Family and to see my picture on the Miss Inspiration website as a current queen, in the hall of fame and making appearances across the UK, this makes it all so real and is an absolute dream come true. 

We always see you out and about in the community, what plans do you have with thus crown for the rest of your year?

I have had so many exciting opportunities open up for me and have had the most amazing year so far. I have a really exciting rest of year planned! I have judging duties as a special quest judge coming up at some amazing systems next year, I am really looking forward to seeing what the delegates have been getting up to in their community in the lead up to their finals and have been following them closely so far. I will be attending various charity events and performing the Violin with the charity Orchestra Chordiss Caerleon at the Celtic Manor Resort during our Christmas Fundraising Concert. 

I also have photo shoots, visits to my platform charities with donations I have been collecting, as well as attending Sparkle (My main platform charity that helps Special Children Shine) as a special quest at upcoming fundraising events. I will be raising funds myself for Sparkle by doing a sponsored run in the Newport Marathon. I will be attending events to raise funds for this years Miss Inspiration charity CRY (Cardian Risk in the Young) whilst also continuing to raise awareness for Autism and Mental Health and I have the Welsh Open Trampoline Championships coming up and my A level Final Exams. My diary is so full I barely have time to sleep or breath, but I love it and wouldn’t have it any other way.

You spoke about your platform, could you explain a little more?

Autism and Mental Health Awareness working alongside Sparkle Charity are my main platforms although I have many platforms that mean a lot to me, I feel that it is really important to accept each person for who they are. Autistic children are the most beautiful souls you can meet and although they are different, they are capable of the most amazing things and working with them through Sparkle for whom I volunteer every Thursday in the Hydro pool and work with on a weekly basis. I love giving back to the most amazing charity who have been there to support my family with my little brothers Autism and disabilities. I love them so much, we are all unique in our own individual ways and no matter what we should be accepted for that.

There are 1 in 4 of us who deal with mental health issues but it's not talked about enough, mental health issues are hugely linked to people on the autism spectrum and there is so much more awareness needed as some mental health conditions can cause severe physical symptoms like anxiety causes nausea and tiredness. For me, to help with my mental health and keep depression away, I love being actively involved with my other platforms, keeping busy and knowing I am making a difference in people's lives is what makes me happy.

Amazing! I got tired just listening to that, you deserve the title so much! We will end our interview with the last piece of advice from yourself to future pageant girls. What would you tell them?

Preparation, research and confidence are key. Make sure the system is right for you and then prepare yourself and practice for every round, make sure your outfits fit your personality and fit you properly, wear footwear that you can walk properly and gracefully in and be careful what you post onto your social media accounts. Practice your hair and stage makeup. If you feel you need training, find a well respected coach who can help you hone in on your most important aspects, stage presence and interview skill's. 

Be confident in yourself because there is only one person like you so let your personality shine, have fun and smile. Make sure you give eye contact to every single judge and if you do not win or place (it took me 5 tries to win this title) keep smiling, be graceful and congratulate the other girls and queens, brush yourself off, evaluate where you went wrong, don’t be afraid to approach the judges for some feedback and come back stronger next time.

Comments