Queen Saturday- IJM UK

IJM was finally brought to the UK and held its first UK finals last month where 6 queens will be travelling to Texas in June to compete at the International Junior Miss finals! Directed by Ruth Wade, a very familiar face in pageantry being a former Mrs Galaxy UK as well as being in the pageant industry for over eleven years, these Queens will have the best possible start to internationals! Not to mention having a professional photographer to follow their every step and get all those headshots for America (That’s Ruth’s husband Jason, also known to many pageant queens as Jason Wade Photography). We caught up with the winners after their wins and got to know a little bit more about them!


IJM UK Jr. Princess Lois 

Welcome Lois (and mum!). Can you tell us what you did in the lead up to finals?

Leading up to the finals I did lots of training days (IJM UK hold a free session every month) which included practicing interviews and being able to practice my walk on the stage as well as getting to know what was expected of me from IJM come the finals. Like for example, the round robin style interview which is different to most UK systems, and the stage patterns. I also attended lots of charity events and even held my own toy collection for my local hospital.

How did it feel to be called out as the winner?

Having my name called as a winner,I was so excited and shocked all at the same time! It never really sank in until I was tucked up into my hotel room, then I was too excited to sleep 

That must of been a fun night! Now IJM doesn’t have a chosen charity, do you have one you support?

I chose my charity platform to support my local children’s hospital, I have done this by raising money through raffling sweet hampers at local pageants, as well as kind donations of new packaged toys from other queens from multiples of systems across the UK. At Christmas we used the money to buy lots more toys and deliver them to the hospital at Christmas. I chose this charity because when I grow up I want to become a baby doctor and help baby’s all across the world 

Lastly, what plans do you have for your year?

For the rest of the year I plan to promote my title as well as to carry on supporting my platform. I will also be preparing for finals in Texas this summer I want to do all that I can to try to make a difference in the world big or small every bit counts 

IJM UK Princess- Daisy

Hello, all the way from Scotland! Can you tell us what Daisy did in the lead up to the finals?

Unfortunately Daisy was very ill before finals and was in hospital so we were unable to do everything which she had planned. We were able to squeeze in some sessions with the Crown Coach however and the fab thing about IJM UK is that you aren't judged on your appearances, they are just for fun so we knew it wouldn't affect Daisy's chances at the crown

We are so glad she is on the road to recovery and she got the crown! Can you tell us about that moment?

I was so so happy to win, I felt sad for the first runner up as we played together all weekend. I am so looking forward to going to America with my amazing sister queens who I love. (Daisy’s words). 

Do you have a charity that you support with your title?

We support the Sick Kids Edinburgh children’s hospital charity. Daisy has spent a lot of time in hospital over the years. This charity has helped us in the past, it funds the sick kids hospital and our local children’s ward at Livingston and we love being able to give back. Daisy has lots of crazy ideas planned to use her title to the fullest for this charity!

Speaking of crazy plans, what does Daisy have planned for the rest of the year?

She plans to see as many of her pageant friends as she can and to support other pageant girls with their platforms and charity. She wants to see as much of her sister queens as possible, as we are in Scotland we are so far away from everyone! Although, we will see them on the queens retreat, as well as TEXAS! Our main mission this year is to support Daisy’s sister queens and see them as much as possible.

IJM UK Pre-Teen- Lyla 

Welcome to the formal side of Sparkles and Rhinestones, as we’ve seen you plenty of times before at our events! Tell us what you did in the lead up to the finals?

As soon as I got my sash, it went everywhere! I got to attend other pageants, charity events as well as model for fashion shows! In the lead up I also attended the IJM workshops, ran by director Ruth, which were free sessions held every month. I got to practice my walk and interview which really helped me with both before the finals! 

How did it feel to have your name called?

When my name was called, I couldn’t believe it! I didn’t take any side awards but worked so hard so I was very happy to be crowned by one of my pageant inspirations!

Do you have a charity or platform that you support within your year as IJM UK Pre- Teen?

My platform is the Chestnut Tree House, which is a hospice for children. The house is like a home from home for the whole family, so they are comfortable in their time of need. At a charity pageant I helped out at, I sold drinks, cakes and crisps for the audience and contestants. I raised £40 doing this! I have also collected arts and crafts bits for them, and still continue to collect these items.

Lastly, what do you plan to do with your year as a IJM UK queen?

I have lots of things planned and still plan to do a lot of appereances in my new sash! As well as this, I want to be able  to give my all at Internationals, so lots of prep for Texas

IJM UK Jr Teen- May

Our next queen is no stranger to pageants, welcome May! Tell us what you got up to in the lead up to the finals?

My finalist sash arrived at the end of October, and it was straight out to appearances! I wanted to make the most of my title so I wore that sash out, by attending others events as well as organise my own charity dog walk for Cheshire Dog Home. Being no stranger to the dance studio, I spent a lot of my time in the studio practicing my walk and the IJM stage pattern, as well as attend the IJM workshops held by our director Ruth to really perfect my stage and interview! 

How did it feel in that winning moment?

I was so excited and happy when my name was called as the winner,because for me, the opportunity to represent the UK out in Texas is a dream come true!

Do you have a charity that you support or a platform?

My two platforms are the Homelessness in my community,and CAARS,which is a local animal rescue centre. I have been supporting these charities for a few years now by fundraising for them as well as volunteering and I look forward to continuing supporting them throughout my reign.

Lastly, what exciting things do you have planned for the rest of your year?

I have lots of things planned for the next year which includes lots of travelling with my crown and sash.  I really want to make the most of my title and cannot wait to spend lots of time with my sister queens making special memories.

IJM UK Teen- Eddison 

Welcome Eddison, massive congratulations! Tell us what you did in the lead up to the finals?

In the lead up to finals I made lots of appearances in my local community and up and down the country, I loved wearing my IJM finalist sash and representing the system wherever I could! 

We love an active queen! How did it feel to have your name called as the winner, after first having it called into the Top Three?

At first I thought I was called for 1st runner up so I hugged Storm and said well done!Then I realised I had actually won! Out the corner of my eye I saw May who is my absolute bestie with the crown on her head and started sobbing realising we’re going to Texas together
!! 

Pageant besties taking on Texas! Tell us about the charity that you will be supporting as your year as a IJM UK queen?

As a finalist I have been working closely with Derian House Children’s Hospice and fundraising for them, however I have also been working with a mental health charity who helps young people suffering with mental health issues, as I think this is a very current topic that people need to open up about more often. Mental Health is my platform and Derian House is the charity I support, and I look forward to including both in my crowning year.



Amazing plans! What other plans do you have for your years reign.

I want to use this title as a platform to be a role model for young people and be someone who is approachable and will be able to help anyone who needs it. I also can’t wait for internationals with all my new amazing sister queens!! 

IJM UK Miss- Paige 

Welcome to our last queen Paige! Can you tell us about your journey to the crown?

IJM UK was the first pageant back for me after a 2-year break whilst finishing my university degree, so first things first, I had to dust off those pageant shoes and get practicing. I wanted to make the most of my journey so I attended various events as a finalist, I volunteered at charity events for the MS Therapy Centre who are a charity close to my heart as my mother suffers from the disease. I also attended pageants local and national, I was lucky to go back to my local carnival selection to see them crown this year's carnival court. That was so lovely for me as that is where my journey began back in 2012. My platform throughout my pageant experience has always been the same but this year I feel that it is that more important. Normalising and raising awareness for mental health is something I am very passionate about; it affects my generation significantly but I want people not to battle it alone, as well as encourage those not suffering to support people by pushing away the stigma attached. Be more open, talk more and encourage people to talk more.  

 Very important to talk about! Well, dusting off the pageant heels was worth it as you won! How did it feel in that winning moment?

Honestly, I just crumbled, I couldn’t believe it. I’d really found my confidence this time around and worked my absolute hardest. When you hear your name, that’s the moment all your hard work has paid off, and it is truly amazing.  

You’ve touched on a bit about your platform, could you tell us a bit more about the causes you promote?

My platform is the normalise mental health, it is becoming less of a taboo topic and so it should. Mental health problems are as common as a cold but unfortunately not everyone is as open to say they are feeling down as they are to say they have a sore throat. So, my aim is to stop that and get people talking. By encouraging people to open up and also to listen to others, it is creating a safe space for people wherever they are. I love to volunteer at our local MS therapy centre, I attend various charity events that they run throughout the year. It is such a fantastic centre and I have witnessed first-hand the work they do and the impact it can have on people’s lives. They rely solely on donations and attendees so it is vital that they have the volunteers to help run these events.  

Lastly, what will you be doing in your winning year?

I want to make a year that I will remember forever. I have gained 5 beautiful sister queens so I will definitely want to organise little meet ups throughout the year, we do have an upcoming queen retreat which I cannot wait for. I will make sure that I attend various pageant events throughout the year so I can share my year with my fellow queens and upcoming queens across the UK. I will also continue to raise awareness for my platform and support my chosen charity. 

Event photos by Jason Wade Photography. Lois headshot by Charlotte Clemie 

Comments