The new curve queens, the winners of Miss British Beauty Curve 2019

August saw a few queens crowned but this week we are talking to three new queens who sashayed the stage in their curves and walked away with the crowns of Miss British Beauty Curve. Miss British Beauty Curve is a pageant for curvier woman size 14 up, and they crown a Miss, Mrs and Ms! 

We talked to the three winners about their journey to the iconic red crowns!



Nikita -Miss

Welcome to Sparkles and Rhinestones! Can you tell us a little bit more about your title and what you did on the lead up to the crown? 

I was crowned Miss British Beauty Curve 2019/2020. The final took place on 24th August 2019 at the Hazlitt Theatre in Maidstone, Kent, so I am like a new queen!! 
In the lead up to the finals I did a lot of appearances such as donating blood, going on the radio, attending pageants and so many more! Pageantry is so much more than being on stage, it’s the presence you have in your local community and dedication to provide for others. So being out and about during the lead up to your finals paths the way for when you’re a reigning queen. I also did a lot of research into my two platforms so that I could provide my interview judges with facts about what I want to do with my reign and why. 

Researching your platform is very important! So take us back to the finals, what were the highlights and of course that winning moment!

I burst into tears when my name was called... and I never cry!! It was a mix of feelings to be honest.. excitement for winning and my new path ahead but I also felt relief that I had finally accomplished the first step in my plans and can now make a start on dedicating my time to helping others and representing Miss British Beauty Curve. I still don’t know how to feel now, I don’t think it’s sunk in yet! Other queens have told me that it won’t sink in until like 8 months into my reign!! 

I really enjoyed being a part of pageant day, I don’t think I could pick a favourite part. I love the atmosphere and spending time with the girls. Although we’re competing against each other, we are friends first so it is full of laughs, silly jokes and so much support. I also love just being on stage, I never thought I’d be the kind of girl that came alive under the stage lights, but pageantry proved me wrong. I really enjoyed our ‘Glitz and Glam’ round this year. The outfit is meant to represent our personalities and it allows us to show who we are and have fun on stage. I had a big Union Jack coloured cape that I could swish which made me feel so sassy! G&G is MBBC version of fashionwear. 

Glitz and glam sounds very fun, and looked it! Everyone looked like they were having the time of their lives! So you talked about researching your platform, can you tell us a little bit more about it?

Being part of a plus size pageant system, and out there in a sash and crown as a plus size girl attracts attention as we’re not the ’stereotypical’ girls people think of when you say beauty queen. So I want to focus on smashing pageantry stigmas and stereotypes and prove that diversity is a positive thing - life would be boring if we all looked the same! Throughout this, I want to focus on stopping body shaming and promoting body positivity. During my research I found that 1 in 5 adults in the UK have suicidal thoughts due to how their body looks - and that’s JUST adults 18+, so imagine how many people that would be when you include children and teenagers into that! 

This is why it is so important to shout about diversity, make sure it’s all over social media, the papers and just in everyone's face constantly, so that people begin to realise that they can do whatever they want when they forget societies preconceived idea of a perfect person.  I have a few ideas on how to do this! 

I also want to focus my time on Children in care. Counted on 31/08/18 there were 76,000 children in England alone that are classed as looked after whether in children’s homes, adopted or in foster care. With adoption rates falling by approximately 13% every year there are more children in Children’s homes than ever. These children can struggle to open up to their carers seeing their relationship as solely professional. 

Therefore I think it’s vital that local governments provide buddying systems for these children who are completely independent from the social system, to provide a friend. Currently, only 1,000 children in the UK have buddies, with over 2,200 on a waiting list! 

Two very important causes! What are your plans for the rest of your winning year?

My plans for the year are basically to shout as loud as I can as a queen and make a load of noise to
get myself and the MBBC system noticed - in a positive way! I want to attend and arrange as many charity events as possible. 

In terms of my platforms, I want to do a body positivity/diversity charity calendar to raise money for Sane - the mental health charity. Things are definitely underway and in the planning of this and I am already really excited for this!!  I also want to connect with Barnardos in order to help children in care gain their buddies. Whether I provide a new system that allows this, or I start a drive to get people to sign up, I am unsure of what direction this can go in at this time due to legalities of working with children! 

Finally any advice for curve queens looking to enter?
 JUST DO IT!! You have nothing to lose, everything that you gain out of taking pageant outweighs any negativity. Just put the application in, and don’t look back. We all have that inner queen inside us, and the pageant world is so much more supportive than the stigma lets on - we will all be there to support and encourage you! 

Mrs- Kayleigh
Welcome to Sparkles and Rhinestones! How did you prepare for the finals this year? 

On the lead up to the finals, I attended several different events in my community, as well as support other girls at different pageants. It was also good to watch pageants to know that soon that would be me on stage! I volunteered and promoted MBBC everywhere I went, especially on social media!

We love an active queen! Of course, let’s go back to that winning moment! How did it feel when your name was called? 

 I felt overwhelmed, I really didn't expect to win, but it felt amazing knowing my hard work had paid off! The whole day was amazing, one of the highlights was meeting the other contestants, I've never felt more empowered! The support from everyone including the queens and directors was incredible and I’m so happy to represent the pageant for another year. 

Speaking about support, as pageant queens we support a lot of different charities and awareness campaigns. Do you support a charity close to your heart? 

The charity I support the most is Nightingale House Hospice. I attend all their events, and volunteer regularly with them, its within my community and has helped people in my life with terminal diagnosis and treatment. I’m also an advocate for body positivity, we're all different shapes and sizes, it's what makes us who we are! 

Sounds like a great charity to be supporting and getting involved in, to make a difference in those last few months of life! Can you tell us what you have planned for the rest of the year? 

My diary is always out, I have at least 2 events booked in per month from now until February! I have a feeling my diary is going to keep being busy until handing over to the next Mrs queen! I love supporting others events and watching other systems pageants, but most of all promoting diversity in pageantry and flying the MBBC flag.

Finally, what advice could you give to queens looking to enter?

My advice is, follow the previous queens, see what they have achieved and picture yourself in their shoes, if you're ready to work hard, and know what you want from the experience then come and join us! 

Jodiann- Ms

Welcome Jodiann! Can you tell us what you did in the lead up to the finals?

In the lead up to the finals I tried to stay calm and focused by simply imagining myself being crowned. I tried to be as prepared as possible so that there would be no room for errors. My sash went everywhere!

All that imagination worked because your name was called! How was the finals for you and coming away with the crown?

When they called my name out I could not believe it. By the time I had got to crowning, I was a wreck. It felt like I was having a panic attack. I was taking deep breaths and they felt as if they were not working. My hands were shaking at the mere possibility that my name could be called and when it was it felt like the best thing ever. I am still at a loss for words trying to explain it. Apart from winning, the highlight of the day was spending time with the other girls. It was great to learn about their journeys and bond with them.

It was all worth it in the end! Do you have a charity or platform you support?

I support the lioness circle. It is a platform that aims to raise awareness about sexual and domestic violence especially in childhood. I hope to do a lot of awareness for the charity as my year as a British Curve Queen. 

I can’t wait to see how your year as a titleholder unfolds! What do you have planned for the rest of the year?

For the rest of the year I plan to attend as many events as possible to promote the pageant. A lot of women have reached out to me asking about competing in the future. As I took home the publicity award, I now have to carry on in that same vein and promote, promote, promote. I am also planning to run a class next year teaching ladies about being comfortable on stage and having a genuine smile.

Finally any advice for curve queens looking to enter?

Just do it. Immerse yourself into the role. Do your research as you would for a job interview. Find out about the pageant, reach out to the organisers, past queens, ect. Then once you have all the information you need, plan, plan, plan and plan some more. Act as if you are already a queen. That will prepare you enough for the finals.

Thank you queens for giving us your time for our blog! Photos by @ thommo300

Comments