Meet the new queens of Miss Sovereign GB

With new beginnings, brings new queens! Today we are bringing you some new queens from the first ever Miss Sovereign GB, which was held in August and raised an incredible £18,821.33 from one pageant night alone for the Caudwell Children’s charity!! We spoke to the directors and all the new queens so take a read and learn something new!

“The Sovereign Pageant Group was founded in 2016 by Debbie Hughes and Stephanie Wood, both with a vision to empower girls and young women, to build confidence in its contestants and encourage community and charity work. Between them they have over 30 years experience in the pageant industry and deliver confidence coaching to young women across the country.

The pageant was NOT a beauty competition, the pageant aimed to find representatives who posses personality, kindness, confidence and will represent their title for good causes and charities. The title holders are expected to demonstrate good will, fair play and be able to put others first. Taking part was designed to mix fun with fundraising and give contestants a night to remember”

Junior Teen - Angel 

Welcome to Sparkles and Rhinestones! Firstly, congratulations for being the very first winner crowned! Can you tell us what you did in the lead up to the finals to prepare.

In the lead up to the finals I worked with young people in local underprivileged communities to speak with companies such as Techniquest and Admiral on issues such as the Real Living Wage and more BAME employment. I also was a spectator at the Homeless World Cup, hosted by actor Michael Sheen and helped raise awareness about homelessness and poverty. I loved being a part of my community with my title as well as preparing for nationals with outfit choices and getting to know my fellow finalists.

How did it feel to hear your name be called as the winner?

It was surreal and definitely unforgettable. I was confident in my abilities and I felt as though I had performed well, but to actually hear your name, alongside a national title is amazing! The highlight of the pageant for me was getting to meet all of the finalists and judges. The finalists were all amazing and so sweet, the judges were all so successful in the world of pageantry and many of them were my role models.

Amazing, always a bonus to not just win but to know your role models had a hand in you winning! Can you tell us if you have a platform or fundraising for certain charity?

I am currently fundraising for the pageants chosen charity, Caudwell Children, which provides practically and emotional support to disabled children, leading them to live happy, active and independent lives! I would also love to work with a charity that focuses on underprivileged children as that’s something I identify with on a personal level so I will be researching further into what charity I can support.

Now that you have your crown, what plans do you have for the rest of your year?

My plans are to attend as many appearances I can, but I would love to judge a pageant as that’s always been one of my goals. I would like to meet up with other pageant girls from different systems and get to know people that share a common hobby with me.

Finally, what pageant advice could you give to someone looking to enter?

Don't base yourself off of what the media has portrayed as the ‘perfect pageant girl’, because there is no such thing! Just be yourself and then you will shine on that stage!

Teen- Libby


Welcome Libby! Can you tell us a little bit more about how your pageant journey to the finals went?

On the lead up to the finals I did lots of charity work and appearances wearing my sash, I wanted to show it off everywhere ! One of my favourite appearances was the moonlight walk for Macmillan,as my great Nan passed away from cancer, so this charity is very close to my heart. I also did lots for my local hospital and dogs home as I feel it is very important to give back to your community, and this is what attracted me to compete at Miss Sovereign.

The moonlight walk must of been an amazing experience! Can you tell us all about your winning moment?

When I was announced as the new Miss Teen Sovereign GB I was so shocked and didn’t think it was true! It felt like forever, even thought it must of been seconds after my name was closed!The highlight of the day was definitely meeting all the girls and having fun, it was such a great day and night!

You talked earlier about fundraising for Macmillan, is that your chosen platform charity to fundraise for?

Yes, I have one special charity I’ll be doing most charity work for and that is Macmillan as I’ve said, it’s a very close charity to mine and my family’s hearts and they are an absolutely incredible charity. I am planning on doing a sky dive for them which I am so excited for. My platform would be self confidence as I have to self catheterise. When I was first told I had Fowler’s syndrome,it knocked my confidence so much but competing has made me such a stronger person and wearing this crown today proves that.

Such an inspiring story!  Now you are a queen for a year, what are your plans?

My plan for the rest of the year, I have so many! I have the charity sky dive, I also have some plans for the hospital at Easter and Christmas and much more. I also want to get out in pageant land as much as I can, going to support other girls in their pageants. 

Finally, what advice could you give to readers looking to take that step into pageantry?

The advice I would give to anyone who is looking to start a pageant would be,to not let negative people get you down and to do what makes you happy! Lastly, follow your dreams!

Miss- Chris-Ann

Welcome to Sparkles! Can you tell us the journey that led to this historic moment for yourself?

Hello my name is Chris-Ann Perkins, I am 21 years old and I am your first ever Miss Sovereign Great Britain.Being the first Miss Nottingham within this pageant system ‘Miss Sovereign Great Britain’ I was so thrilled to start fundraising and making appearances within my city and travelling to other cities such as Stoke on Trent and Radcliffe! 

I have had wonderful press releases focused on my aims and objectives as Miss Nottingham, and influenced my peers, family and pageant system about my contributions made to my community both nationally and internationally.  I also enjoyed fundraising money for our chosen charity which is ‘Caudwell Children’; Working with children since the age of 15, I was so excited and passionate to raise money and awareness for this charity ! 

A very busy finalist then! How did it feel when your name was called? 

OH MY GOODNESS! I cried and cried ! Seconds before my name was called .... I looked down to the floor and whispered to myself “If you don’t win , be happy and proud because you have made your family, friends and community proud”.... then I heard “CHRI..” and I lost it! The amazing wave of emotions! The tears just flowed as I was so proud that my hard work, complete passion and dedication shone through on stage!

This means the absolute world to myself and my community; my Jamaican community are so proud and it makes me feel honoured to know that I inspire other little girls. One of the highlights was when our pageant directors revealed the total amount that the 2019 finalists had raised for Caudwell children! It was beautiful as we worked as one to make this change in other children’s lives.

Speaking of charity, do you have your own platform or charity you support as a queen?

My platform is children, the youth and my community; within my Reign as Miss Sovereign Great Britain I have plans to meet the board member of Nottingham’s community services, working to implement innovative local initiates to reduce knife crimes within Nottingham. I am also a member of an international initiative called ‘Travelteer’. Recently travelling to Sri Lanka this March 2019, was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life! Being live and active , teaching mothers , children and children with special needs English as a second language was incredible! I also have events planned to raise money for Caudwell children within my reign ! 

Finally, can you give any advice for girls looking to compete in pageants?

My advice to a young lady wanting to enter a pageant is to remember it is not a beauty competition, that beauty presents itself in different forms; kindness, courage, confidence, and being charitable with a sincere purpose ! That being your true self is all the beauty you need . 

Ms- Chelsie 

Congratulations Chelsie, it’s so nice to finally see a crown on your head! Can you tell us how you prepared for the finals?

In the lead up to the finals I  attended as many local events as I could fit into my diary as well as working both of my current jobs!! I attended events such as the Barlestone Dog Show, modelling stunning wedding dresses for Sammie Lou Bridal Couture as well as helping out with Warwickshire Fire and Rescue service diversity campaign, presenting at local schools and speaking with new recruits. Just to name a few! As well as pageant prep, I also squeezed in training with my sponsor, Kingdom Gym.


Tell us all about the final day for you? Were there any highlights, apart from winning of course! 

The highlight of my day was the rehearsals as we had so many laughs and its where I really got to know everyone, especially while rehearsing the opening number! Having my name called as the Ms winner, It felt surreal. I was amazed to make the top 20! Then shocked when I made it to the final 12! Watching videos back, it really showed on my face how surprised I was when my name was called as the Ms winner. I honestly still cant believe it now. 

We know the chosen charity for the pageant is Caudwell Children, but do you support any charities or have plans to fundraise for any? Also tell us more about your platform?

I have two chosen charities which are both incredible with what they do. 
The first being The Firefighters Charity. As I have seen the amazing work they do for firefighters and their families in their times of need. The other is Rosie's Rainbow Pantry, a local charity set up in memory of the lovely Rosie. This is to continue her amazing charity work that she started while battling cancer. She alone raised thousand of pound's for charity even being named radio ones child of courage. 

My platform is to try and inspire as many people as possible to follow their dreams no matter what age/gender/religion/ethnicity/etc. My dream has always been to be a firefighter with my other dream being to win a national title within pageants. Stereotypically these dreams shouldn't work together. But why should a stereotype stop you?? I did this and I want to show as many people as possible that they can achieve their dreams and goals too!

Yes beauty Queens can achieve anything they set their mind to! So, you’ve achieved your two big goals, what is next for the rest of your winning year?

My plans for the year are to enjoy it! I want to as much as I can and help as many people as I can while holding my title of Ms Sovereign GB. I will continue to work with Warwickshire Fire and Rescue service on their diversity campaign. 
I will be hosting a few charity events such as a Psychic night to raise money for mine and the Sovereign GB Teams chosen charities.

Finally, what advice could you give to people looking to start pageants?

My advice would be to be prepared and have fun. The more prepared you are before a pageant the less you have to worry about and the more you can enjoy the experience.  I am so lucky to have made so many great friends through my time in pageants with even more amazing memories! 

Mrs- Samantha 

Welcome Sam! Can you tell us how your journey to the Mrs crown went?

I wanted to make sure I could show off my title everywhere, I loved being able to chat to people about what pageants are all about and the good causes we help.I did a lot of appearances in my area  before the finals, such as the New forest fairy festival which was amazing as I got to dress up and also take my daughter along. I also attended the RNLI open day which was great as I got to see the amazing work they do to help others ,and also had fun dressing up in all the gear! As well as all that dressing up, I also got to prepare my outfits for all the fun rounds!

Sounds like a lot of fun! Can you tell us all about your experience of the finals, including that crowning moment? 

I couldn't believe it when I made it to the top 12 and was in total shock.Then, when they called my name as the winner I was overcome with emotions. The amazing reaction from all the other girls when each of us was crowned was so lovely! My favourite part of the day was rehearsing the opening number, it was great seeing the support everyone was giving each other. And I love to dance!

Can you tell us a little bit more about your pageant platform?

My platform is Eating Disorder Awareness and Body Confidence . For a very long time I was very poorly with an eating disorder and I want to help other people see there is a way out and you can beat it and go on to love your body and all that it can do for you. I'm also going to continue to raise awareness and funds for the charity Help 4 Homeless veterans, who I am an ambassador for.

Some very important issues to be highlighted! What are your plans for the rest of the year?

My plans for this rest of the year is to attend as many events as I can and show that beauty queens aren't all about looks and that we all have substance and want to use our titles to help others around us. I also plan to work closely with a local eating disorder Counselling service to speak to others going through what I did.

Lastly, with your parting words, can you tell us a bit of advice for women looking to follow in your footsteps?

 My advice would be just go for it. Don't doubt yourself and feel like you not good enough or experienced enough. Miss Sovereign GB was the first pageant I have entered and I'm so glad I took the leap.

Ambassador- Terri-Ann

Welcome fellow Wiltshire queen! Can you tell us all about the lead up to your second pageant ever!

In the run up to the finals I worked closely with the Mayor of Swindon and attending  many charity events. We are also working together until his year as mayor is up.  There are so many amazing activities I did being a Sovereign GB finalist. I am working with the NSPCC charity to create a film about my child abuse history to raise awareness of this, as well as this I am working with the chief of children's education to get the policy around bullying and mental health changed in all schools in the UK. I created alongside  fellow sister queen Becca, the  #neverfeelashamed campaign that is going really well. 

Lots of exciting things to come! Can you tell us how it felt to be named as the first ever ambassador? 

I was in absolute shock. I didn't think my name was going to be called at all and my first instinct was to cry,I cried so much!! The best thing about pageant day for me,was finding out how much we raised for charity! When our directors handed over the cheque to caudwell children,my heart melted.

You touched upon working with the NCPCC charity, can you tell us more about your platform?

My platform is mental health and child abuse. I will be raising money for the NSPCC this year hoping to raise minimum £5000. The NSPCC helped me out of my abusive environment and I want to give back to them do they can carry on saving young children's lives and helping them build a better one. I feel mental health and child abuse go hand in hand, before the finals I did the messy4mind challenge created by Tom Mills to raise awareness of mental health. I had 12 liters of gunge chucked over me, it was very messy but as beauty queens I feel this is the perfect platform to highlight these issues. 

What are your plans for the rest of the year?

As stated before, I will be working to get policies in schools changed around mental health and bullying, alongside my platform of Child Abuse and Mental Health. I want my title as ambassador to be heard and seen, so I will be trying to attend as many events as possible and emerge myself into pageant land!

And the final piece of advice for the day, what could you say to girls looking to enter this crazy world of pageantry?

My advice to new pageant girls would be, don't forget who you are!! It's hard to see girls who are really pretty but know that you are also! Don't try to change yourself to be like another queen/finalist. Be an individual, be unique and love yourself for who you are.

Comments